Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Athens, afternoon one


After five hours of being on the train, I was ready for an adventure. As we drove in on the bus, Maria gave us some highlights of the city. R (who lives near DC) and I decided to strike out on our own. We walked several blocks to the Greek Parliment building where the guards were posted. Then we started back to the hotel. We were doing great until we realized we had been walking back for a longer time than it took us to go. We had made the right turns but had apparently been talking and walked right by the hotel. We were able to ask two nice people for directions and made it back just in time for dinner. After dinner, a bus carried us to the Plaka area of Athens where you can shop. I don't shop but I was thrilled that the Acropolis was right there and I got these pictures. Acropois means highest place of the city and every ancient city had one. Too bad every student of history can't visit the places they are studying . I might have enjoyed it if I just hadn't memorized facts!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment